- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar (white sugar will do!)
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup margarine or butter (I use Buttercup)
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cup white sugar
- grated rind of lemon
- 3/4 cup all purpose cream
- confectioner's sugar for dusting (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Sift flour, sugar and salt into a bowl and mix well. Add in butter (should be cold but not too hard) and rub in with a fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
2. Press the mixture evenly into 9x13 tin (or Pyrex) pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
3. While crust is baking, make the topping (oh, that rhymes! say it again! WHILE CRUST IS BAKING, MAKE THE TOPPING!!!) Whisk the eggs and sugar until well blended. Add the lemon juice and rind. Mix again.
4. Whip the cream until soft peaks form.
5. In a steady stream, pour in lemon-egg mixture while folding into whipped cream using a rubber spatula.
6. Pour mixture over warm crust. Return to oven and bake for another 25 minutes.
7. Allow to cool and dust with powdered sugar. Cool completely before cutting into squares.